Monday, October 15, 2012
Five Sweet Spots To Indulge On 'Sweetest Day'
These tasty treats from RM Champagne Salon would certainly pep up any "Sweetest Day" celebration. (Photo: RM Champagne Salon)
Sweetest Day is Oct. 20, but whether you have a significant other or not, there's no reason why you should miss out on these five decadent delights:
1. Fresh Biscuits at Bang Bang Pie Shop. You can have pie yes, but the other highlight is the delicious biscuit scene they've got going down. They're crunchy on the outside and super moist inside and available piping hot and fresh until about 1:30pm daily. Dress them up at the "biscuit topping bar" where you'll find black pepper honey butter, blueberry lavender jam, cherry chai or strawberry butter. The biscuits—and pies—are certain to go well with Bang Bang's signature roasted coffee.
2. Bistronomic's Baked Alaska. The old-school dessert feels modern at this trendy Gold Coast bistro helmed by chef Martial Noguier. And those confection-y layers of sponge cake, ice cream, meringue, caramel and almonds taste good right down to the last morsel with a bottle of bubbly.
Bistronomic's irresistible Baked Alaska. (Photo: Bistronomic)
3. The New Brunch at Brasserie 54 by LM. The Andersonville newcomer now serves daytime fare, and that includes bottomless Mimosas (with entree, $22). Some of the savory choices include Galette Compete (buckwheat crepe with ham, Swiss cheese and sunny-side up egg), the Benedict 54 (with jamon francais, tomato and béarnaise sauce), and a quiche with mixed greens and lemon vinaigrette. 11am-3pm Saturday, Sunday.
4. Enoteca Roma's Amaro Flight. The traditional Italian cordial is hot for fall, but this intimate Wicker Park eatery's featured them since 2004. To get folks more familiar with the spirit, they offer it by the flight for $17. You'll get to choose three from nine, with the highlights being CIOCIARO, Lazio (sweet chocolate, anise, liquorice), RAMAZOTTI, Lombardia (rich cola, orange peel, cardamom), MELETTI, Marche (lavender and saffron, cinnamon disks) and NARDINI, Veneto (toffee, cinnamon, spearmint, grappa based).
5. Petite Desserts at RM Champagne Salon. Find your way near the fireplace and settle in for a sweet snack of house-made "Kit Kats," cherry marshmallows and truffle PB&Js. Pair that with a bottle of sparkling wine and you're in for a treat. The extensive list of choices by the glass and bottle can get overwhelming, so feel free to ask your server or somm Jason Wagner, who's well versed in these matters.