Monday, November 19, 2012
So. A lively debate ensued late Friday afternoon when this question was brought up on Facebook:
Do you guys tip when you order takeout? And, if so, do you tip the full 20 percent?
Now, I'll admit . . .I wasn't too knowledgeable on this subject as I don't do takeout orders often; I get delivery service. And I tend to bypass those little tip jars at the cash registers of my local coffeehouses. Really?! A tip to pour me a cup of tea?!
But from everyday diners to those in the restaurant industry, here's what folks had to say about tipping on takeout orders:
Carrie Nahabedian (Photo: Carrie Nahabedian)
There's a lot to be thankful for . . .
• Carrie Nahabedian (Naha) revealed that Brindille is the name of her forthcoming French-focused restaurant. She's also shed more than 140 pounds since February. Go, Carrie!
• Scott Malloy is no longer the chef at Arami. There's no word yet on what he's planning next.
• Yusho's Matthias Merges is looking at a mid-December opening for Billy Sunday, his offbeat cocktail lounge in Logan Square with Alex Bachman at the helm.
• Bar DeVille 'tender Seth Feldman gives us the 411 on the Ukrainian Village cocktail lounge's efforts to help fight prostate cancer in his Boozy Beggar blog. Proceeds from the Dick Cancer cocktail (rye, lemon, ginger beer, club soda and bitters with orange oil) benefit the Movember movement throughout the month.
• New Acre Executive Chef Mike Lathrop introduces a raw bar deal on Nov. 21. Get there during the week for "oyster hour" (5-7pm or 10pm-midnight) for $1 on every variety of bivalve.