Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Lite Bites: What Your Favorite Chefs & Mixologists Are Up To Around Town
"No Reservations" star Anthony Bourdain is coming to Chicago!
It's a very busy week. Check it out . . .
• Tickets go on sale at 10am Nov. 16 for Good vs. Evil: An Evening With Anthony Bourdain & Eric Ripert. The event happens at the Auditorium Theatre on May 9, 2013, and this thing WILL sell out immediately, so you should jump on it. The Bristol's Chris Pandel will serve some of his signature bites as part of the program.
• Eater Chicago takes a look at the good, bad and ugly of the Michelin Chicago stars for 2013, including the snubbing of Paul Virant (Perennial Virant, Vie) and Bruce Sherman (North Pond).
• The Jean Banchet Awards for Culinary Excellence nominees are in. Most interesting is that mixologist Paul McGee got a nod for Three Dots and a Dash, which hasn't opened yet. The awards will be presented on Feb. 8, 2013, at the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's annual Grand Chefs Gala.
Leopold's new brunch includes hearty dishes like buttermilk biscuits with duck confit gravy. (Photo: Leopold)
• Brunch debuts Nov. 18 at Leopold with a number of hearty dishes from Michael Dean Reynolds. Highlights include a poutine of fried eggs, house Merguez gravy and Nordic cheese curds; corned rabbit hash with poached eggs; and buttermilk biscuits with duck confit gravy.
• 437 Rush has a new chef. The Italian-focused resto snatched Christian Fantoni away from Filini Bar and Restaurant, and he's already added new entrees to the menu. New are the Ahi tuna eggplant capponata; risotto Milanese with asparagus and white truffle; and seafood Zuppetta Livornese.
• Allium's hosting two Mistletoe Mixology events to get you ready if you plan on entertaining at home this holiday season. Death's Door rep Meg Bell will pass on her wisdom to help make your cocktail party a success. Event includes cocktails and hors d'oeuvres from Allium chef Kevin Hickey. 6:30pm Nov. 28 and Dec. 5. $100 per person. Reservations required by calling the restaurant.
• Baconfest mania has begun! Red Door's Troy Graves is hosting a satellite dinner at 6pm Dec. 10. Peep the menu, then call the restaurant for a reso. It's $55 per person.