Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Lite Bites: What Your Favorite Chefs & Mixologists Are Up To Around Town This Week
Sola's Carol Wallack with her Hanger steak in chocolate demi. (Photo: Sola)
Sweet sensations . . .
• Valentine's Day may be long over, but Sola's Carol Wallack is still celebrating with a chocolate prix-fixe menu that's available throughout the month, Monday through Wednesday. Highlights include the cocoa nib-balsamic salad and Hanger steak with mashed sweet potatoes, Chinese broccoli and chocolate demi. It's $30.
• Here are the locals who made the cut for the James Beard semi=finalists. Those who made it to the finals will be announced in March. Good luck to all!
• Cheers—the only beverage business publication devoted to full-service restaurants, bars and hotels—recently honored the Tippling Bros. (Little Market Brasserie, Mercadito, Tavernita) with the Beverage Industry Innovator of the Year Award. That's mostly for the duo's creative kegged cocktail system at Tavernita.
Just some of the house-made pastries set for Little Market's brunch menu, including muffins, scones, croissants and jams. (Photo: 312 Dining Diva)
• Speaking of Little Market Brasserie, brunch will launch this weekend. Executive Chef Ryan Poli will be hooking up items like biscuits and gravy with a fried egg; a chorizo omelet with queso fresco and cilantro cream; buttermilk pancakes with banana and chocolate syrup and an all-day grilled cheese with a fried egg, cheddar, bacon and avocado. Prices are $4-$12.50. Brunch is 6:30am-3:30pm Saturday and Sunday.
• Speaking of brunch, Vera's doing Bubbles Before Brunch on Sunday. Wine Director Liz Mendez will lead a class on sparkling wine at 11am that's the ideal lead-in for those hitting up their favorite brunch spots in the area (Little Goat, Publican). It's $40 and includes a receipt for a complimentary appetizer at Leopold (Guests may redeem at any time).
• Signature Room at the 95th just acquired a new executive chef with Rosalia Barron. She's previously worked with the likes of Rick Bayless, Carrie Nahabedian and Dale Levitski.
• Here's a behind-the-scenes look of Siena Tavern, which includes a trip to Italy to concept the restaurant.
• It's time to vote for your favorite mixologist, cocktail bar, restaurant bar, etc. in Tales of the Cocktail's very competitive contest.