Thursday, September 12, 2013
Lite Bites: What Your Favorite Chefs & Mixologists Are Up To Around Town This Week
GT Fish & Oyster partners Kevin Boehm (left) and Giuseppe Tentori (Photo: GT Fish & Oyster)
• It's not every day Spiaggia offers something this budget friendly, so I'd jump on it if I were you. The team's joining forces with GT Fish & Oyster's Giuseppe Tentori for a "funk & fish" edition of Stuzzi & Spritz. Head over 7-10pm Sept. 16 for swordfish and snacks as funk serves as background music in the bar area. It's $20 per person, with 50 percent off wines by the glass and specialty cocktails. Get advance tickets right here or pay at the door.
• Another awesome collaboration consists of Lee Wolen (Lobby at the Peninsula Chicago) and Ryan Poli (Tavernita). This one's a reunion of sorts because Wolen used to serve as Poli's sous chef back in the Butter days. They'll cook a multi-course, Mediterranean-inspired dinner at Lobby. It's $85 per person with optional wine pairings for an additional $25, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Common Threads. 6:30pm Sept. 16.
Chefs Lee Wolen (left) and Ryan Poli (Photo: Peninsula Chicago)
• Allium hosts a "keg party" 7-10pm Sept. 18. But don't go expecting anything from your old college days; this one's quite upscale. Chef Kevin Hickey's hooking up beer-friendly bites to complement local kegged beers from Goose Island and Begyle Brewery. There will also be kegged, FEW Spirits-based cocktails. The snacks are free; beer and cocktails are $5 and $8 respectively. Also look for pop-up stands from Trunk Club, MAC and Robin Richman.
• The annual chef-focused Kouzina event raises $$$ for the National Hellenic Museum's educational and cultural programs. It's also an opportunity to explore rich, Greek cuisine as a number of chefs will be on hand serving signature dishes. Look for the likes of Georgios Bournas (Psistaria Greek Taverna), Frank Georgacopoulos (Meli Café), Lonnie Liming (Prasino) and David Schneider (Taxim). It takes place 6-9pm Sept. 19 at 333 S. Halsted St. Tickets are $100 in advance and $125 at the door.
• A new wine tasting series kicks off at Telegraph, beginning Sept. 24. It will occur one Tuesday a month thereafter and includes a casual, walk-around tasting of 12 wines (led by sommelier Jeremy Quinn) paired with small bites from chef Johnny Anderes. Each event is $40 per person and begins at 7pm. Upcoming events: Carolina Comfort Food Tasting (Sept. 24), Natural Tuscany (Oct. 22), California Dreamin' (Nov. 12) and French Pinot Noir (Dec. 10). Get tickets in advance right here.