Wednesday, October 9, 2013
Lite Bites: What Your Favorite Chefs & Mixologists Are Up To Around Town This Week
Thomas Raquel of Acadia (Photo: Acadia)
An elite group of chefs with the sweetest jobs in the city gathers Monday, Oct. 14 for an event you don't want to miss. The first-ever Room for Dessert dinner happens at Storefront Company as sort of a kickoff event for the annual Chicago Fine Chocolate & Dessert Show at Navy Pier (Oct. 18-20). We're talking the cream of the crop here because hooking you up with their signature pastries will be the likes of Thomas Raquel (Acadia), Elissa Narow (Perennial Virant/Vie), Meg Galus (NoMI Kitchen), Patrick Fahy (Sixteen), Kym DeLost (Storefront Company) and Courtney Joseph (Takashi/Slurping Turtle). Their creations will be paired with wines and savory bites in between. Proceeds benefit Icing Smiles. The dinner starts at 7pm and you can get the $50 tickets right here.
Here's the scoop on what they'll serve that night:
Thomas Raquel of Acadia: "French Apple" Calvados roasted apple, cinnamon custard, canele ice cream and caramelized puff pastry
Meg Galus of NoMI Kitchen: Gianduja Cremeux, a coconut-vanilla sorbet, Concord grape gelee, basil
Elissa Narow of Perennial Virant/Vie: Caramelia torte with Seckel pears, winter spices and La Colombe Panama coffee
Patrick Fahy of Sixteen: Criollo dark chocolate with banyuls and ice cold milk
Kym DeLost of Storefront Company: Foie gras mousse with caramelized chocolate, pain d'epices, vinegar and milk sherbet
Courtney Joseph of Takashi/Slurping Turtle: Pumpkin cake with maple semifreddo, smoked vanilla ice cream and caramelized white chocolate
Paul Kahan at the James Beards awards earlier this year (Photo: Kent Miller/James Beard Foundation)
• Also, Rick Bayless is making big moves in Wicker Park and on Randolph Street.
• So, like will everyone attending It's Raining Cats and Dogs get a doggie bag on their way out?! I certainly hope so because the gala, benefiting the Anti Cruelty Society, will feature tastings from some of your fave chefs. Here's the full list of culinary stars, which includes Jimmy Bannos (Heaven On Seven/Purple Pig), Michael Kornick (MK), Ryan Poli (Tavernita), Kristin Subido (Pecking Order) and Trevor Hoyte (IPO). The event happens 6-9:30pm Oct. 24 at Galleria Marchetti (825 W. Erie St.). Get the $175 tickets right here.
• Cristiana DeLucca—the talented mixologist who replaced Charles Joly when he left for The Aviary—resigns as The Drawing Room's head bartender Saturday. She was behind the stick at the Gold Coast cocktail lounge for more than five years. No word yet on what she's doing next or who's stepping into her shoes.
• Moto's Homaro Cantu reveals the name of his "flavor tripping" coffee and pastry shop in a video. It's set to open in 2014.
• And the mayor has proclaimed Oct. 17 to be Chef Paul Kahan Day in Chicago on the day he's inducted into the Chicago Culinary Museum’s Chefs Hall of Fame. That event takes place 5:30-9:30pm at Castle, and the famed Blackbird chef will be joined by inductees Rich Melman and chef Alain Roby. Tickets are $125 in advance and $149 at the door. That includes an open bar and "wandering" feast.