Sunday, March 21, 2010
'Top Places to Find a Man' from the 'Millionaire Matchmaker'
Thank Goodness for Patti Stanger.
Best known as the abrasive dating expert on Bravo's "Millionaire Matchmaker," she's created the "Top 10 Places To Find A Great Guy" list, which was released Sunday on Twitter.
This makes my job easier because it is the number one question from reader emails.
So, I've taken her tips (in italics) and localized them just for you!
1. SPORTS BARS: I know, I know. Go by yourself, befriend the bartender, and enjoy the "hang out" atmosphere and who knows what could happen! I'll take it up a notch, with sports bars offering delicious fare beyond the usual burgers and wings. English and Theory in River North, Mike Ditka's in the Gold Coast, and The Gage in the Loop come immediately to mind.
2. STEAK HOUSES: Real men eat meat. Many enjoy a good steak & martini. The bar or lounge area is a great place to hit during Happy Hour! Hyper-masculine types bond over meat and potatoes at Chicago Chop House, Gibsons, Keefer's and N9NE.
3. DRIVING RANGES: You don’t have to be good. Men love to coach & feel flattered when you compliment them on how much they’re helping you out. Check here for a comprehensive list of locations.
4. MOVIE THEATRES: Not INSIDE! The lines outside—especially for MAN movies (action, horror, westerns, war). Spark up a conversation! Find out what's playing and where here.
5. CLASS: Take a class or 2 at local community college—(movies, pottery, books, etc). Great place to meet someone with similar interests. Pretty self explanatory.
Stanger recommends women checking out cigar bars for eligible men.
6. SUSHI BAR: Most common place for men to sit & eat alone. Sit at the bar & make friends with the chef! Who knows who will sit next to you! Great sushi bars with a scene: Sushi Samba, Mirai, Kamehachi and Sushi Wabi. Tip: Check out what others are eating and strike up a conversation.
7. SUPERMARKET: Go to prepared food section—most men these days don’t have time to cook. Go right after work on weekdays—best pickings! Take it one step further and get to one of the many specialized markets, including Green City Market, Green Grocer, Goddess and Grocer or Chicago French Market.
8. INDUSTRY EVENTS: Find out what industry dominates your town & show up at lectures/promo events. Then, find out where after-parties are. Get on the list.
9. CIGAR BARS: Most women can’t stand the smell, but if you’re one of the lucky ones that can—you’ll have your pick of eligible men! Top of the list of those drawing the best crowds: Up Down Cigar Shop and TESA Cigar Co., which is BYOS (Bring Your Own Scotch) and located right next door to Piccolo Sogno. Also, The Bar at Peninsula has occasional events on its terrace in the summer.
10. DOG PARKS: A single guy who takes good care of his dog is usually more open to commitment and responsibility. Here's a list of local dog parks.