Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Friend's 'Downfall' at Big Star

Photobucket
Big Star's newest addition: the Sonoran Hot Dog. (Photo: Freddy Love)


Brand spanking new to the menu at Big Star is the Sonoran Hot Dog ($6), a bacon-wrapped, all-beef sensation stuffed into a toasted Mexican bolillo roll and topped with chile mayo, yellow mustard, jalapeño sauce, pinto beans, onions and tomatoes.

Of course, one of my friends was bold enough to finish the whole damn thing by himself, and he almost didn't make it. I was 10 minutes late to the Labor Day gathering, so I missed out on the action . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried it, WAY too much bun! Not enough beans, either. Id rather have the lamb tacos back....

312 Dining Diva said...

Awww, man. I didn't even notice that the lamb tacos were off the menu. I was too busy chowing down on the pork belly tacos.

SarahVojn said...

Am I crazy, or does it seem like they're trying to compete with Rockin' Taco's Rockin' Dog? I mean, how many taco places have hot dogs...with mustard and jalapeno sauce. They've been compared to Rockin' Taco before; must kill them to be compared to a little hole-in-the-wall (a great hole-in-the-wall).

312 Dining Diva said...

@Sarah:

Interesting observation, but I doubt it. I do think they're just trying to branch out a little and see how folks react to it. I'm hearing both positive and negative things. Those who don't like it say it has too much bread. Maybe they'll alter that.