Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Lite Bites: What Your Favorite Chefs & Mixologists Are Up To Around Town
Tru partner/executive chef Anthony Martin (Photo: Anthony Martin)
All is right in the universe . . .
• Peep a host of hot new fall dishes from Tru's Anthony Martin on YouTube.
• Indulge in chef-driven fried chicken from the likes of Bill Kim (bellyQ), Takashi Yagihashi (Slurping Turtle) and Matthias Merges (Yusho).
• The U.S. Bartenders Guild of Illinois' Hurricane Sandy benefit at Salud Monday raised $8,011.92. WOW. The money will go to the U.S. Bartenders Guild of New York, who will put the money to good use.
• GT Fish & Oyster's Giuseppe Tentori launches brunch on Nov. 17 with tasty items like Biscuits and Lobster Gravy and crab Benedict. We're also looking forward to the French toast from his talented pastry chef, Sarah Jordan. It'll be crafted with key lime, grapefruit and mascarpone.
• Mixologists Kris Von Dopek (Bangers & Lace) and Brad Bolt (Bar DeVille) guest bartend at Antique Taco 9pm-1am Nov. 11. No cover, complimentary bites and expect some out-of-this world cocktails.
• Here's Chicagoist's sneak peek of Bar Pastoral, which opens this weekend with chef Chrissy Camba at the helm. Of note is the roasted house-made ham that comes with boiled heirloom potatoes, Raclette, cornichons and a baguette. She’s formerly of Vincent and on the current season of Top Chef.
• Speaking of Top Chef, more details emerge about Fabio Viviani's new restaurant set to open in River North.
• Henri hosts its second spirited dinner, this time around with Sable head bartender Mike Ryan and his staff. The theme is rum, and Henri mixologist Clint Rogers and The Gage's Thomas Mooneyham will help pair five cocktails with five dishes from executive chef Dirk Flanigan. It's $100 and happens at 6pm Nov. 14. Reservations required; call the restaurant to indulge.
• Serious Eats chats with Chicago's only soup truck owner/chef.