Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Where Too White Crew's Frontman Chows Down

Photobucket
C-Note of Too White Crew (Photo: Too White Crew)

He's a life-long Chicagoan who's performed at the Playboy Mansion as well as a number of college campuses around the country.

Yet, when it comes to good eating, Too White Crew frontman C-Note says there's no place better than home.

His talented band (and dancers better known as the Fly Girls) specializes in old-school hip hop, and they're certain to work up quite an appetite after those energetic shows. So I recently caught up with C-Note to see where he likes to get down and chow down when he's not working.

Is there a favorite restaurant the band checks out?

What we love to do as a band is find these crazy holes in the wall. When it comes to pizza it is hard to pass up Chicago Pizza because it's open until 5am. I cannot count the many times I've hurt myself from eating there late night. If we want to sit down, we usually end up at Tempo in the Gold Coast. There's always entertainment to be had at Tempo at three o'clock in the morning.

Where is your favorite brunch spot?

It's hard to deny McGee's is a great brunch spot. It's a great spot in Lincoln Park for brunch and the atmosphere is mad fun. Every Sunday it's like that too. It's not like some Sundays are fun and others are not. It's pretty much nuts every Sunday.

What's your favorite type of food to eat?

I always try to find a spot that has really good seafood. If I have to be particular, it should be whitefish. I'm also a big fan of Greek cuisine because it's my heritage.

What's your absolute favorite restaurant in the city?

If it’s nice out, I love Pegasus because the rooftop is nice and spacious. I also like Greek Islands because their dolmadas changed my life. It's ground beef and rice wrapped in grape wine leaves with egg sauce on top. My grandmother used to make it when I was young and this is the next best place for me to get it. Parthenon, also. I haven’t been there in a while, but I love their Pastitsio (Greek lasagna).

Is there a good hip hop-focused restaurant in the city?

Not really, but the closest it came for us was The Fifty/50 in Wicker Park. I'm really bummed the restaurant didn't do its annual Four Courses to Freedom dinner this year. They had a legit sommelier pair up comfort food with 40 ounces. They didn't do it this year and we were so bummed. We were so ready for it. They get a gold star for a great job and I hope they bring it back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a 13 year old boy who lives in chicago and loves to cook and eat. I have been expanding my cooking interest in food and cooking in many of the prestigious restaurants in Chicago. If you have a moment please checkout my blog at www.samvfood.com