Monday, March 12, 2012
Notes From: 'Mad Men Cocktail Class'
Femme du Coupe's Revae Schneider. (Photos: 312 Dining Diva)
• In late 2011, former Union Sushi bartender Revae Schneider set up shop upstairs at Fleur De Lis Florist as Femme du Coupe—a DIY bar-styling company.
• The company hosts regular themed events at Fleur De Lis Florist as well as off premises.
• Schneider designed a series of Mad Men-themed classes to coincide with the fifth season premiere on March 25. Participants learned how to make classic cocktails from that era, and each class represents cocktails that one of the characters would likely drink.
• The first two classes, Cocktails With A Curve: Cocktails for the Joan Holloway in You, paid homage to the show's femme fatale. Schneider added the second class by popular demand and it attracted 10 participants to the intimate space.
• All ingredients were provided for the female-friendy, gin-based cocktails: French 75, St. Germain Fizz (Schneider's own creation) and The Last Word.
• Most participants admitted that they weren't big gin—or cocktail—drinkers. Collectively, these were champagne and wine-drinking women. Schneider may have converted a few before the night was over!
• In addition to learning about gin, guests also got a lesson in how to properly shake cocktails and the importance of ingredients.
• In between cocktail making (the class was two hours), guests mingled with their drinks. A lot of networking was going on.
• Additional Mad Men events coming up: March 15 (Don Draper's Triumvirate); March 22 (Classic Beauties: Femme Favorite Cocktails) and March 29 (The Closer: Nightcaps for A Mad Man).